Search engines tend to favor sites that are consistently, regularly updated and have lots of referrals via incoming links. There are a few things you can do to increase your visibility in search engines once you publish your site.
NOTE: If you want guided SEO help, use the Search Engine Optimizer, which is available with a Premium website account.
Submit Your Site to Google
You can manually submit your site to Google and Bing visiting their site submission pages.
Submit your site via Google's Webmaster Tools at
Submit Your Site to Bing
Bing's Site Submissions page is located at
"Your request was successfully submitted. Bing will come and visit your site soon. To find out if your site is indexed and receiving traffic from Bing or to submit more URLs, sign up for a free account with Bing Webmaster Tools."
This will also submit your site to Yahoo search, since it is powered by Bing's search engine.
Promote Your Site
Make sure that you are regularly promoting your site. Search engines are a tool for indexing, not promotion. Highly-ranked sites are popular not only because they’re optimized, but because they have lots of referrals via promotion and reputation. Each link into a site or page essentially serves as a vote of credibility and relevance of that content.
Use your Social Networks
There are always new social networking sites that pop up on the web and by now most of you probably belong to one if not several of them. These sites are a great way to promote your site to friends and people with similar interests.
- Post updates to your Twitter
- Post updates to your Facebook page
- If you have a blog, use a tool to automatically link new posts on your social media profiles.
- Search engines do not index a website's content simply because the site is published; they favor sites that are regularly updated and have a lot of quality referrals via incoming links.
- Search engines are a tool for indexing, not for promotion. Site owners have already promoted their sites to gain incoming links from other sites.
- Compose your pages for visitors, not for search engines. A well-written, well-designed site will gain visibility a lot quicker than sites that are overloaded with keywords that don’t help visitors.
- Sites with excellent spelling and grammar are taken seriously and have the potential to increase visits and sales. Correctly spelled words are also more likely to show in search results.
- Being the expert on a certain topic has the potential to drive a lot of traffic to your site. Look up your site’s topic in a search engine to see what your competitors are doing and do it differently. Visitors love a site that speaks to them, so it’s a good idea to avoid doing the same thing as other webmasters.